To help people live more fulfilled, joyous and peaceful lives by making it possible to truly connect with horses and integrate insights gained from these experiences into daily life.
What is Equinection?
Equinection is more than a farm, program, staff, and horses. The actual experience gained from this specialized interaction results in significant change and personal insight. This makes Equinection unique; we inspire transformational change that opens awareness of the whole person – mind, body, and emotion.
Simply put, Equinection is:
- A specialized EFL practice focused on deepening awareness by using relationship with horses as a catalyst for personal insight and change. For more information on Equine Facilitated Learning, click here.
- A farm – a private and serene setting that supports careful and thorough introspection. Our facility, designed solely for our program, with indoor and outdoor meeting spaces, large indoor arena, round-pens, walking trails, and journaling spots.
- A herd of horses – gentle, curious, and honest. Judgment and criticism are never part of their offering. For more information on “Why Horses”, click here.
- A well trained and experienced staff dedicated to offering their best work and service.
- A practice committed to respect and to serve all who come to Equinection.
Equinection and Founder’s History
My family’s business was a conference center outside of Washington, DC. in the foothills of northern Virginia. My childhood job was taking conferees horseback riding. A diverse and fascinating array of people came for conferences from The Department of Defense to the NAACP, as well as medical groups, statesmen and politicians. I grew close to many of the conferees over the years. It didn’t seem odd to me that a child and these consummate professionals were friends. We connected from the heart through our unconditional regard for horses.
In the 40 years that followed, among other jobs, I worked on a cattle ranch, acted and directed in theatre, won an Emmy working on documentary films, and raised a family.
In 2004, Equinection officially opened for business. I had two horses on less than four acres in the city limits of Asheville, NC. and offered one workshop on personal development.
Today, Equinection is located on 112 acres in Green Mountain, NC and has a herd of eight horses. It took six years to build the facility – a barn, 100-square foot indoor arena, meeting space, outdoor classrooms, round pens, lovely gardens and grounds. The serenity of the farm is integral to the Equinection experience.
Our programs develop over the fullness of time, as I integrate my life experiences and education into enriching and transformative experiences for participants.
Just as horses have curious natures and are natural explorers, I continue to push the boundaries of my training in EFL and expand my teaching to better help people feel rooted in and nurtured by life.
To me, Equinection represents a divine balance the full circle we call life. For now, just as when I was a child, I connect with people’s hearts through grace offered in the form of the horse.